There are lots of better things to talk about on Christmas day than Gastro for sure! However we all know how it can mess up all our gathering and holiday. That is why we thought to give a bit of heads up about Gastroenteritis and its management.
The Department of Health and Human Services has issued a warning for Melbourne residents to be on high alert and on the look-out for gastro symptoms.
During last couple of weeks, we have seen a lot of cases which is unusual for this time of the year.
What is Gastro?
Gastroenteritis or ‘gastro’ is a common illness affecting the gastrointestinal system, which can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach cramps and fever.
Gastroenteritis usually only lasts 24-72 hours depending on the cause, but can take a big toll on your body, especially if you get dehydrated.
The best way to avoid catching it is:
- Good hand hygiene.
- Use paper towel instead of cloth towels.
- Do not handle raw and cooked foods with the same implements (tongs, knives, cutting boards), unless they have been thoroughly washed between uses. Keep all kitchen surfaces and equipment clean.
- Keep cold food cold (below 5 °C) and hot food hot (above 60 °C) to discourage the growth of bacteria.
- Make sure foods are thoroughly cooked.
- Clean the toilet and bathroom regularly, especially the toilet seat, door handles and taps.
- When travelling overseas to countries where sanitation is suspect, only drink bottled water. Avoid food buffets, uncooked foods or peeled fruits and vegetables, and ice in drinks.
How to manage it once it happens?
- Fluid, fluid and fluid would be the most important thing to get through it!
- Rest as much as possible.
- Sharing isn’t caring. Stop the spread!
- Try the BRAT diet once you have stopped vomiting and you’re able to keep down fluids. The BRAT diet is super bland and consists of Bananas, Rice, Apple sauce, and Toast.
If you have any other questions and or concerns regarding gastro – be sure to chat with one of our doctors.
This above information was provided from healthymummy.com